Tholsel (Town Hall), High Street, Kilkenny
Tholsel (Town Hall), High Street, Kilkenny
Planning and Development Act 2000- as amended
Planning and Development Regulations 2001- as amended
NOTICE OF PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT BY A LOCAL AUTHORITY
Renovation and restructuring of the Tholsel (Town Hall), High Street, Kilkenny
In accordance with Part 8, Article 81, of the above regulations, Kilkenny County Council hereby gives notice of its intention to alter and renovate the Tholsel, High Street, Kilkenny for office use and Tourism / Exhibition use. The building will continue to house a Council Chamber, Mayor’s Parlour, and Offices. It will also house an exhibition area in the basement and second floor, with limited visitor access to be provided to the roof.
The Tholsel (Town Hall) is a Recorded Monument (KK019-026061) and a Protected Structure included in the Record of Protected Structures for Kilkenny City, Ref. RPS B43 (NIAH Ref. 12000061) It is located within the Kilkenny City Centre Architectural Conservation Area and within a zone of Archaeological Potential (KK019-026 ‘City’)
The proposed development will consist of:
- Provision of lift and fire escape stairs to serve all floors within existing structure (including the basement area).
- Modifications to the rear (eastern elevation) of the building to facilitate the reinstatement of the pitched roof in the area of the proposed lift and stairs and the insertion of new window openings and glazing.
- Removal of railings to porch area at ground floor level and provision of a new 51sq.m glazed structure, incorporating timber frame structure, to house a Visitor Reception area.
- Removal of existing 77sq.m mezzanine level at 3rd floor level over Mayor’s Parlour and Corporate Affairs office. Removal of internal walls to corporate affairs office to create reception/exhibition space.
- Removal of existing curved stairway from ground floor to second floor level, and removal of second storey of curved extension to allow for reinstatement of windows to Mayor’s Parlour at the rear of the building. This will also facilitate the provision of a reception area at ground floor level for the civic function of the building and an office at first floor level.
- Refurbishment of existing building, including repairs to masonry and windows and replacement where necessary, replacement of existing rooflights, re-dressing of lead linings, replacement of railings at roof level, and repairs to roof.
- Renovation of the basement area for the purposes of providing an exhibition space
- Complete internal redecoration and new internal openings to allow improved circulation within the building.
- Provision of plant in the grounds of St. Marys Church & Graveyard (Recorded Monument (KK019-026115 & KK019-026156) and a Protected Structure in the Record of Protected Structures for Kilkenny City, Ref. RPS B192 (NIAH Ref. 12000130/KK) and adjacent to the Alms Houses (Protected Structures, Ref RPS B193 (NIAH Ref. 12000128/KK and 12000129/KK)). This will include associated below ground pipework connection to the Tholsel.
- Site works associated with formation of connections to existing public foul and surface water drainage, and existing utilities as required.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development will be available for inspection or purchase for a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy during office hours from Friday 11th January 2019 to Friday 15th February 2019 inclusive, at the following Kilkenny County Council offices:
- Planning Dept., Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John St., Kilkenny City from 9am to 1pm & 2pm to 4pm Monday to Friday.
- Kilkenny City Engineering Office, Kilkenny County Council, Town Hall, High Street, Kilkenny from 9am to 1pm & 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday.
- Carnegie Library, Johns Quay, Kilkenny from 10am to 8pm Tuesdays, 10am to 5pm Wednesday to Friday, and 10am to 1:30pm Saturdays (except Bank Holiday weekends).
Details of the proposed development can also be viewed at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/ and www.kilkennycoco.ie
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development will be carried out, may be made online at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/, in writing to the Planning Section, Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny or sent to the following e-mail address Tholselplanning@kilkennycoco.ie . The latest time and date for receipt of submissions on the development is 5.00pm on Friday 1st March 2019. Submissions should be clearly marked “Tholsel Project – Planning Submission”
Director of Services