KILKENNY COUNTY COUNCIL
Comhairle Chontae Cill Chainnigh
Planning & Development Act 2000–2016
Planning & Development Regulations 2001-2017
NOTICE OF PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT BY A LOCAL AUTHORITY
Redevelopment of the Brewhouse Building on the former
Smithwicks Brewery Site in the townland of Gardens, Kilkenny.
In accordance with Part 8, Article 81, of the above regulations, Kilkenny County Council, on behalf of Kilkenny Abbey Quarter Development Ltd, hereby gives notice of its intention to renovate the Brewhouse Building on the former Smithwick’s Brewery site, in the townland of Gardens, Kilkenny. The existing building is to be redeveloped to allow for a range of uses including education, research & development and/or office use.
The current proposed development includes amendments to the previously permitted Part VIII planning consent for the redevelopment of the Brewhouse Building.
The main features of the proposed development will include :
- the construction of a new extension at roof level over the northern section of the building.
- the insertion of new floors in voids at first and second floor level to create additional floorspace within the existing building envelope.
- the replacement of existing windows with new double glazed aluminium windows
- the removal and replacement of the existing flat roof structure.
- the insertion of new ‘sawtooth’ roof structures on the southern wing of the building
- the provision of external insulation with a rendered finish to existing rendered facades.
- the construction of new facades to the east and south where the building previously abutted other brewery buildings, which were demolished by Diageo Ireland (Planning Ref. No. 13/990045)
- the demolition of an existing non reusable steel framed structure
- the demolition and removal of steel cladding, brick infill walls, concrete walls and floors as necessary to facilitate the proposed renovation and refurbishment works.
- the provision of signage on the west façade.
- the construction of a new hard landscaped public space along Horse Barrack Lane.
- the construction of a new landscaped public square/courtyard to the east of the Brewhouse
- the removal of the existing security hut.
The Gross Floor area of the completed Brewhouse building will be approx. 6,390 sq.m.
The Brewhouse building is located within the City Centre Architectural Conservation Area as set out in the Kilkenny City & Environs Development Plan 2014-2020. It is also located within a zone of Archaeological Potential (KK019-026 ‘City’) and it is adjoining St Francis Abbey, a National Monument.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development will be available for inspection or purchase for a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy during office hours from Friday 27th Oct 2017 to Friday 24th November 2017 inclusive, at the following Kilkenny County Council offices:
- Planning Dept., Kilkenny County Council, County Buildings, John St., Kilkenny City
from 9am to 1pm & 2pm to 4.00pm Monday to Friday (Except Public Holidays)
- Carnegie Library, Johns Quay, Kilkenny from 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 8pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm Thursdays and Fridays, and 10am to 1:30pm Saturdays (except Bank Holiday weekends).
Details of the proposed development can also be viewed at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/ and www.kilkennycoco.ie
Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development will be carried out, may be made online at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/, in writing to the Planning Section, Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny or sent to the following e-mail address Brewhouseplanning@kilkennycoco.ie . The latest time and date for receipt of submissions on the development is 5.00pm on Friday 8th December, 2017. Submissions should be clearly marked “Brewhouse Building – Planning Submission”
Mr. Martin Prendiville
Head of Finance, Kilkenny Co. Co., County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny.