8. Urban and Architectural Design
• Adhere to the bylaws of Special Area of Conservation - Protection, signage etc.
• Completion of Thomastown Urban Renewable Plan – Thomastown has a unique medieval square town layout/plan type. It is currently re-presented as a linear town layout, with emphasis on Market Street only. Logan & Low Street need to be upgraded to the standard of Market Street to complete this unique town plan type.
• Derelict buildings in town to be addressed,
• Encourage the restoration & re-use of empty/abandoned buildings.
• Old SuperValu - Private Ownership
Thomas town Community Centre – Old Sports Hall re-use - In progress
Sessions house - Council owned.
• Castles requiring protection/attention : Grennan Castle - Requires protection from animal grazing/public access with protective fencing
Sweetman’s Castle – in a state of disrepair.
Dysart Castle – threatened.
• Public facilities encouraged to remain in town centre eg Library, Public Toilet, Post office, Supermarkets, Medical centres, Pre-schools and Crèches.
• Renewable technologies to be utilised for all restoration and new building work.
• New architectural design to be of high quality - Encourage the use of contemporary design, referencing the Irish Rural context while utilising renewable technologies.
• The rural design guide should just include the actual requirements for sight lines instead of referencing the road design manual.