Redevelopment of Thomastown Community Centre for partial change of use to Library and refurbishment of existing sports hall at Marshes Street, Thomastown, Co. Kilkenny
In accordance with the provisions of Part XI of the Planning & Development Act 2000, as amended, and Part VIII, Article 81, of Planning and Development Regulations 2001, as amended,Kilkenny County Council hereby gives notice of its intention to redevelop the existing sports hall at Thomastown Community Centre for partial change of use to library, with the balance of the building to be renovated for continued sports hall and associated use by the local community.
The proposed development will consist of:
- Refurbishment of the existing steel superstructure for retention and re-use
- Construction of new first floor level within the existing double height space in the area to be used by the library
- Demolition of existing walls and cladding and replacement with new rendered and insulated walls at ground floor and new cladding at first floor level, with associated new window openings
- Demolition of the existing roof finishes and replacement with insulated cladding system incorporating roof lights
- Construction of new entrance lobby on the front elevation, with associated ramp and stepped access
- Construction of new flat roof extension at rear elevation for sports hall/community storage
- Construction of new stepped access to new openings on front and rear elevations
- New internal layout including stairs and passenger lift
- Associated Plant & Services
Thomastown Community Centre is located within a zone of Archaeological Potential. The building being redeveloped, the sports hall, is not a Protected Structure but is immediately adjoining the Concert Hall, which is a protected structure.
In accordance with the requirements of Article 120(1)(a) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended) the Planning authority has made a preliminary examination of the nature, size, and location of the proposed development. The authority has concluded that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and a determination has been made that an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is not required.
As per Article 120(3) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), where any person considers that the development proposed to be carried out would be likely to have significant effects on the environment, he or she may, at any time before the expiration of 4 weeks beginning on the date of the publication of this updated notice apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the development would be likely to have a significant effect on the environment.
Plans and particulars of the proposed development will be available for inspection or purchase for a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy during office hours from Friday 09th October 2020 until Friday 6th November 2020, at the following Kilkenny County Council offices by appointment only from 9am to 1pm & 2pm to 4pm, Mon to Fri, excl.bank holidays
- Planning Dept., Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John St., Kilkenny City. To make an appointment please contact: 056 7794010 or email: email@example.com
- Area Office of Thomastown Municipal District, Lady’s Well Street, Thomastown, Co. To make an appointment please contact: 056 7794340 or email Thomastowoffice@kilkennycoco.ie
Details of the proposed development can be viewed at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/ and www.kilkennycoco.ie Submissions or observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development will be carried out, may be made online at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/, in writing to the Planning Section, Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny or sent to the following e-mail address Thomastownlibraryplanning@kilkennycoco.ie . The latest time and date for receipt of submissions on the development is 5.00pm on Friday 20th November 2020. Submissions should be clearly marked “Development of Community Centre and Library, Marshes Street. Thomastown Part 8”
Mary Mulholland, Director of Services.