Section 177AE Planning Application for Approval to An Bord Pleanala for the N24 Carrick Road Improvement Scheme
(Newspaper Notices in respect of this planning application to An Bord Pleanála appeared in the Kilkenny People Wednesday 23rd November 2022 and the Irish Independent Wednesday 23rd November 2022)
KILKENNY COUNTY COUNCIL
COMHAIRLE CHONTAE CHILL CHAINNIGH
N24 CARRICK ROAD IMPROVEMENT SCHEME, WEST OF MOONCOIN VILLAGE, IN THE TOWNLANDS OF CLONMORE, GRANGE, POLLRONE AND MOONCOIN, COUNTY KILKENNY.
Notice of Planning Application to An Bord Pleanála for Approval
Notice is hereby given that Kilkenny County Council intends to seek the approval of An Bord Pleanála under Section 177AE of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 (as amended) to carry out a proposed development along a section of the N24 route west of Mooncoin Village in the townlands of Clonmore, Grange, Pollrone and Mooncoin in County Kilkenny.
The proposed N24 Carrick Road Improvement Scheme will consist of the realignment of a 2.2km section of the N24 to remove a series of bends to the west of Mooncoin in Co. Kilkenny. The scheme is surrounded predominantly by agricultural land. Townlands affected include Clonmore, Pollrone, Grange and Mooncoin.
The proposed scheme involves:
- Pavement works which will consist of approximately 900m of online realignment and 1300m of offline realignment works.
- Surface water drainage.
- Provision of 2no. attenuation pond, with 2m high palisade fencing, one on the western side of the scheme and other on the eastern side.
- Provision of a construction compound at the location of the proposed eastern attenuation pond.
- Proposed realignment of the Skelpstown 16 stream which flows through the site with box culvert for stream crossing.
- Provision of a combined road underbridge and cattle underpass.
- Provision of 1.5m footpath underneath the new road at the location of underbridge.
- Provision of a timber post and tension mesh fences along much of the scheme length, as well as 2.5m wide shared surface/ footpath either side of the carriageway on the eastern side of the Scheme.
- Provision of agricultural access tracks and adjacent field access tracks.
- Fencing; safety barriers; kerb line; signage; and all site development and landscaping works.
A Natura Impact Statement (NIS) has been prepared as part of the application for approval in respect of the proposed development.
An Bord Pleanála may give approval to the application for development with or without conditions or may refuse the application for development.
A copy of the plans and particulars of the proposed development and the Natura Impact Statement will be available for inspection free of charge between Friday 25th November 2022 and Friday 20th January 2023 (Inclusive of both dates) at the following locations:
- The consultation website of Kilkenny County Council at https://consult.kilkenny.ie/en
- The Planning Section of Kilkenny County Council, County Hall, John Street, Kilkenny City. R95 A39T between the hours 9am to 1pm & 2pm to 4pm Monday to Friday (Excluding Public Holidays & 28th December 2022),
- Piltown Municipal District Offices, Kilkenny County Council, Ferrybank Shopping Centre, Ferrybank, Co. Kilkenny, X91DE42; from 9am to 1pm & 2pm to 5pm Monday to Friday (Excluding Public Holidays & 28th December 2022),
- The offices of An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1 between the hours 9:15am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday (Excluding Public Holidays & 28th December 2022)
In accordance with the requirements of Article 120(1)(a) of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (as amended) and Section 50(1) of the Roads Act 1993 (as amended), the local authority has made a preliminary examination of the nature, size and location of the proposed development. The authority has concluded that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and a determination has been made that an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is not required.
As per Article 120(3) where any person considers that the development proposed to be carried out would be likely to have significant effects on the environment, he or she may, at any time before the expiration of 4 weeks beginning on the date of the publication of this notice apply to An Bord Pleanála for a screening determination as to whether the development would be likely to have a significant effect on the environment.
The Natura Impact Statement and the Plans and Particulars of the proposed development may be inspected free of charge at the locations identified or purchased for a specified fee (which shall not exceed the reasonable cost of making a copy).
Any submissions and observations on the proposed development in relation to –
- the implications of the proposed development for proper planning and sustainable development in the area concerned,
- the likely effects on the environment of the proposed development, and
- the likely significant effects of the proposed development on a European Site, if carried out,
may be made in writing to An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin, D01 V902.
Any submission/observation must be received by An Bord Pleanála not later than on or before 5.30pm on Friday 20th January 2023.
A person may question the validity of any such decision by An Bord Pleanála by way of an application for judicial review under Order 84 of the Rules of the Superior Courts (S.I. No. 15 of 1986) in accordance with section 50 of the Planning and Development Acts, 2000 (As Amended).
Practical information on the review mechanism can be accessed under the heading Publications – Judicial Review Notice on the Board’s website www.pleanala.ie or on the Citizens Information website www.citizensinformation.ie
Dated this 23rd November 2022.
Director of Services, Kilkenny County Council
Register of Particulars: (Available for free download or viewing from the list on the right-hand side of the screen.)
- Cover Letter to Application to An Bord Pleanala.
- 177AE Planning Application Report: Particulars relating to Construction, Planning & Environment (Barry Transportation 2022)
Containing the following appendices:
Appendix A: Air Quality and Climate Impact Assessment 2022
Appendix B: Noise & Vibration Impact Assessment 2021
Appendix C: Stage 1 Flood Risk Assessment Report 2022
Appendix D: Maintenance Plan for Surface Water Drainage Infrastructure
Appendix E: Archaeological, Architectural and Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment Report 2022
Appendix F: Natura Impact Statement Report 2022. Appropriate Assessment Screen Report 2022 & Kilkenny County Council Habitats Directive Project Screening Report
Appendix G: Ecological Impact Assessment Report 2022 & Bat Assessment Report 2022
Appendix H: Landscape & Visual Drawings
Appendix I: Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Report 2022 & Kilkenny County Council EIA Screening Determination.
Appendix J: Outline Construction Environmental Management Plan (OCEMP) 2022
Appendix K: Scheme Feasibility & Route Options Report 2019
Appendix L: Preliminary Design Report 2021
Appendix M: Planning Application Drawings
- Site Location Drawings
- General Arrangement Drawings
- Departure Application Drawings
- Drainage Drawings
- Silt Fencing Drawing
- Lighting Extents Drawing
- A list of the prescribed bodies to which notice was sent under section 177AE(4)(b) and a copy of each notice sent.
- Newspaper Notices. Published in the Kilkenny People 23rd November 2022 & Irish Independent, dated 23rd November 2022 under section 177AE(4)(a)