Abbey Quarter Masterplan Areas Report Appendices

Abbey Quarter Masterplan Areas Report Appendices (Download Report Appendices)

APPENDIX A: St Francis’ Abbey Historic Sources

In 1544 a Grant of King Henry VIII of the Black and Grey Friaries and their possessions to the Soveraigne, Burgesses and Commons of Kilkenny.

CR/C9 – Copy of a translation of a Grant made by King Henry the 8th to the Sovereign- Burgesses and Commons of the Town of Kilkenny of the Black and Grey – Friaries and their possessions in the 35th year of his Reign

‘And the whole House [Satis] site? boundary ambit and precincts of the late Monastery or House of Franciscan Friars of Kilkenny, aforesaid in the said County, Commonly called the Grey Friars of Kilkenny. And the whole Church Belfry Dormitory, Hall, Chapter House, three Chambers a Kitchen, a House called the Garnen with three cellars under same House, and an enclosure within the Site of said late monastery or House, and all Edifices Messuages Gardens Lands tenements Orchards and heredutaments whats occurs with this appertaining in or within the Site Bounds Circuit and precincts of said late Monastery or House’.

CR/C18 – Letter Patent of Charles I (1640-1693)

‘... also all the houses scite ambit and precincts of the late Monastery or house of Franciscan Friars of Kilkenny aforesaid commonly called the Grey Friars of Kilkenny Late in the sais County and now in the County of the City of Kilkenny and all the churches belfries Domitories halls the Chapter House three bedrooms one kitchen a house called the garner with three cellars under said house and an enclosure within the said Scite of said Monastery or house of Grey Friars and also all the house edifices gardens orchards lands tenements and hereeditaments with their appurtenances within the said Scite ambit and precincts of the said late monastery or house of Grey Friars and all the castles messuages lands tenements mills weirs’.

CR/H 2 relates to a volume entitled ‘Folio Volume containing entries of leases and fee farms No 13’ entries appear under the headings; ‘The Comon Lande, St. John’s Lande, the Freren Landes’ dating to 1500-1678. The document discusses the leases on Grey Friar Abbey amongst other matters.

The following are leases dating from 1592 that relate to land holdings in and around St Francis’ Abbey then referred to as ‘Grey Friar Abbey’:

CR/I 24 - 18th July 1592 Lease past to John Rothe Fitz Jerkin, Burgess of two messuages, part of the ‘ Grey Fryers land’ for 61 years at 7 shillings and 4 pence.

CR/I 30 – 4th July 1595 Lease past to Katherin Ronan of Kellis (Kells) single woman, Patrick Gaffney her son, Walter Johns of Kellis and Margaret Ronan his wife, of a messuage and garden situated in the precinct of the late Monastery or house of the Grey Friars of Kilkenny, together with a ‘little void or wast place’ situated between the said house and the west end of the abbey, for 58 years at 1 shillings and 8 pence per annum.

CR/ I 60 - 19th October1632 Lease past to Richard Roth Fitz Edward, Alderman of a messuage a void room or garden situated within the precinct of the late dissolved house or Franciscan Abbey of the city, together with the cloister of the abbey, for 99 years 4 score and 19 years.

CR/I 103 - 4th July 1753 Lease past to William Archbold, Esquire, of the Franciscan Abbey situated in St Mary’s parish for ever at the yearly rate of 4 pounds.

‘Known by the name of the Franciscan Abbey not in the possession of the said William Archabold Smithwick Lying and being in the Parish of St Mary in the said City Together with all and Singular the houses Buildings Rights Members Appurtenances Privileges and Advantages.... To hold the said Houses, Gardens, Orchards and Buildings and every part and parcels thereof with the appurtenances’.

CR/H6 relates to a book that documents - A Concise History of the Corporation of Kilkenny with Catalogues of its Ancient Charters, Grants and Minute Books 1873.

Appendix B Irish Historic Towns Atlas Kilkenny Gazetteer

The following information was extracted from the Irish Historic Towns Atlas Kilkenny, Topographical Information by John Bradley (2000). It relates to features noted to lie within the Masterplan area. These structures/features and associated references are included in a gazetteer format.

Mills

St Francis’ Abbey Corn Mill, Water gate E., part of St Francis’ Abbey Brewery (q.v.) Grefryrs Mylle 1541 (Extents Ir. Mon. possessions, 200). Edmund Smithwick, oatmeal miller, 1846, 1856 (Slater). Corn mill 1850 (Val. 1), 1858-1910 (Val. 2).

Mill race, from Breagagh R., Water Gate W. to River Nore: water course, property of St Francis’ Abbey (see 11 Religion) 1540 (Carrigan, iii, 107); 1758 (Rocque); mill race 1841-1946 (OS).

Forges and smithies

Horse Barrack Lane N., in part of former starch factory (q.v.) 1869-1901 (Val. 2), 1871 (OS). Horse Barrack Lane, site unknown. Peter Dowling 1884 (Bassett, 141). Horse Barrack Lane, site unknown. Patrick Hennebery 1884 (Bassett, 141).

Distilleries

Parliament St E., on site of later St Francis Abbey Brewery (q.v.).1824 (Pigot). Distillery, malt house, corn stores and water mill 1827 (KM 24.1.1827). Incorporated in St Francis’ Abbey Brewery (q.v.) in 1827 (Halpin, 587). Location unknown. Rectifying distillery 1829 (KM 12.8.1829).

Breweries

St Francis Abbey Brewery, Parliament St E., in S. part of St Francis’ Abbey (see 11 Religion). St Francis Abbey Brewery, opened by Edmund Smithwick incorporating earlier distillery (q.v.) in 1827 (Halpin 586-7); 1831 (KJ 1841; Smithwick Brewery 1871 (OS). St Francis’ Abbey Brewery, 4 malt houses, saw mills, 2 steam engines, water wheel 1884 (Egan, 142-3). St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 1900-46; brewery 1983 (OS) St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 2000

Woollen manufactories

Chancellor’s Woollen Factory, Vicar St E. Chancellor’s Mills 1830; Chancellor’s Mills, grist, tuck and spinning mills 1841 (KJ 24.31830, 31.7.1841) Chancellor’s Woollen Factory 1841; woollen factory 1871 (OS). Closed in c. 1881 (Val. 2). Incorporated in chancellor’s Mill (q.v.) by 1946 (OS).

Starch manufactories:

Parliament St E., associated with St Francis’ Abbey Brewery (q.v.). 1841 (OS), 1870; closed in c. 1882 (Val. 2).

Services

Bull Inn, St Canice’s Place S. (04306335). Bulles Inn, opened in 1602 9Prim, 1862, 177). Closed by 1833 (KJ 9.2.1833). In ruins 1862 (Prim 1862, 1770). Part extant 2000.

Transport

Irishtown Bridge, Breagagh R., Irishtown to Water Gate (04406250). Bridgec. 1207; Cotterell’s Bridge 1269, 1352 (Berry, 124; Liber primus, 25). Repaired in 1568

(Ainsworth, 33). Widening ordered in 1759 (KCM 5.4.1759). Bridge at Water Gate 1833

(KJ 27.2.1833). Unnamed 1841-1999 (OS) Irishtown Bridge 2000.

Bridge, Breagagh R., King St to St Francis’ Abbey, associated with Grey Freren Gate. Said to have been built before 1540 (Hogan, 1884, 393).

Residences

St Francis’ Abbey (house), Parliament Street E., in St Francis Abbey brewery. Smithwick residence 1837 (KJ 15.11.1837).

Streets

Horse Barrack Lane ‘Road leading to monastery of the Friars Minor, 1498 (Liber primus, 103). Graiefreryn Street or Lane 1615 (Healy 389). Lane to the horse barracks 1715 (CB 17.9.1715). Horse Barrack Lane 1786 (FLJ 22.7.1786), 1835; St Francis Street 1830; St

Francis Abbey Street 1840 (KJ 29.4.1835, 4.12.1830, 17.6.1840). Horse Barrack Lane 1841 (OS).

Religion

St Francis Abbey, Water Gate E. Franciscan friary founded by Richard Marshal in c 1231- 4; new chancel built in 1321; new cemetery added in 1331; chancel extended in 1347; friary: church, belfry, barn, cemetery, Dr Clinton’s chamber, garret chamber, granary with 3 cellars, kitchen, orchard with 2 small closes containing 2 acres, 1 water course, suppressed in 1540; granted to mayor and citizens in 1543  (Carrigan ii, 104-10). Reoccupied in 1553, vacated in 1559, reoccupied by 1599; new friary built in 1612 (Jennings, 146, 176). Chamber, chapter house, choir, cloister, Grey Freren park, kiln, nave, steeple, void room c. 1633 (Ledwich, 409-10). Closed in 1650 (Jennings, 180). ‘Mary’ Abbey c. 1655(DS). Assigned as site of cavalry barracks in 1698 (CB 16.9.1698). Franciscan Abbey 1708 (Pratt). Roof and gallery timbers removed in c. 1719 (KCM 19.9.1719). St Francis Abbey 1758 (Rocque). Church nearly entire, unroofed with tower 1837 (Lewis, ii 115). St Francis’ Abbey, in ruins 1841-1999 (OS). Remains of chancel, tower, vaulted chamber 2000.

St Francis’ Well: c. 1633 (Ledwich, 410), 1837 (Lewis, ii, 115); spring 1841; St Francis Well 1871-1946 (OS); built over by 1977 (Lanigan and Tyler, 26).

The Franciscan friary lay within a one hectare precinct occupying the north-eastern corner of Hightown, bounded on the north by the Breagagh River and on the east by the Nore. The site is low-lying and on soft alluvial soil subject until recently to sever winter flooding. Referenced to the ‘angled lane leading to the friars Minor’ suggest that access to the church during the medieval period was via Jenkin’s Lane, now the southern part of The Ring, while a bridge over the Breagagh gave access, through Grey Freren Gate, from Irishtown. The founder appears to have been Richard Marshal, Lord of Kilkenny from 1231 to 1234. But the first definite reference to the Franciscans at Kilkenny, does not occur until 1245. The surviving remains consist of the thirteenth- century choir with an east end added in the 1320’s and a belfry started in the 1340s but left unfinished until the fifteenth century because of the Black Death.

Defence

St Francis’ Tower, Parliament street E. (06106330). Tower, site of, 1900-46; built over by 1983 (OS).

Evan’s Turret, Horse Barrack Lane N. Turret 1841; unnamed 1871-1999 (OS). Extant 2000.

Horse barracks, Water Gate E. Built in c 1700 (CB 16.9.1698, 5.4.1700); 1758 (Rocque). Extended in  1758 (KCM 20.5.1758); 1787  (FLJ 24.2.1787). Closed in c. 1800 on construction of infantry barracks (q.v.) Old cavalry barracks, sold to corporation for 200 in 1829 (KCM 12.5.1829). Old horse barracks 1841 (OS), 1872 (Val. 2) in ruins 1900; demolished, replaced by ballroom by 1946 (OS).

Gardens

Grey Freren park, Water Gate E., associated with St Francis Abbey, site unknown c. 1633 (Ledwich 409-410).

Orchard

Chancellors orchard, Vicar St. E. (04956410). 1654 (CS), 1781 (Ledwich 486, 1843 (KJ 17.5.1843).

Appendix C County and City Gaol Records

Inspector-General’s report of the state of the prisons of Ireland for the year 1807-1808

Redmond Duffy local inspector and Rich Elseworth gaoler (360)

‘A new gaol was begun for this county, under the superintendence of Mr Robertson, the architect, about 5 years ago, the work is nearly finished… supposed … be fit for the reception of prisoners about mid-summer and may serve as a model for strength and accommodation to the other counties in Ireland’.

Thomas Hutchinson local inspector, William Montgomery gaoler (361)

‘This gaol is kept clean and regular, the inspector is very attentive and the gaoler humane and vigilant, when the new county gaol is occupied, the corporation should purchase the old county yard, and add it to the airing ground for the city prisoners. The walls of it should be raised’.

Report on the General State of Prisons of Ireland 1818 App.

Thomas Hutchinson local inspector, Thomas Tallant gaoler

‘I visited this gaol in January 1818, it had a disorderly appearance, occasioned by the county yards being left in an unfinished state, the debtors are obliged for air and exercise to use the female court, which often occasions improper conversations to pass between the sexes. A wall is absolutely necessary to mask the adjoining brewery; until this is built the gaol cannot be considered secure. The cells and rooms of the prison were clean, and the gaol very healthy, but the halls were certainly dirty, by reason of the courtyards not being flagged or gravelled’.

First Report of the Inspectors General on the General State of Prisons of Ireland 1823… ‘If the wall recommended in the yard adjoining the brewery is built the lasses will have their separate yards…..’

Second Report of the Inspectors General on the General State of Prisons of Ireland 1824… ‘The situation of this gaol is indifferent, it being the ground floor of the county and city courthouse, it is however more open to the rear than would appear by viewing it from the street, and with a well regulated system of yards, may afford air sufficient for the health of the prisoners. Stones have been drawn to build a wall recommended in my last report and before the erection thereof the grand jury propose to employ the prisoners in breaking stones and laying a solid foundation in the yards for a dry gravelling floor.

Third Report of the Inspectors General on the General State of Prisons of Ireland 1825 recommendation to build the walls some feet higher to prevent escape also to erect a chapel and infirmary which the law requires.

Eight Report of the Inspectors General on the General State of Prisons of Ireland 1830 This building shall be converted into a female prison – house of correction.

Tenth Report of the Inspectors General on the General State of Prisons of Ireland 1832

‘There is no boundary wall and the yard is surrounded by buildings giving every facility to escape………’

In subsequent years, the gaol is described as being not fit for purpose.

In documented leases the land to the rear of the court house is described as consisting of the ‘shed, yard and garden behind Grace’s old Castle, with the passage coming into the yard (9th March, 1840 from William Hawkesworth to Sir Jonah Wheeler (Commissioners appointed by the Grand Jury of the County of Kilkenny for the purpose of purchasing or renting premises for building of new Court-houses and Prisons in said county, pursuant to the provisions of the Acts of 7th George IV).

The following table details sources relation to Grace’s Castle, City and County Gaol and Courthouse:

Location

Dates

Sources

Date of Source

Comment of source

Grace’s Castle [Parliament Street East]

c. 1211

Ledwich

1804

William Grace (le Gras) builds castle

 

1566

Calendar of Patents of Elizabeth Ireland. 1566 [Chk list of buildings owned by Corp. in Ms]

1566

[Ownership transfer to Kilkenny corporation as goal (see note*below)]

 

1678

Ormonde Leases

1678

Grace’s Castle [leased to High Sheriff]

 

1697

Ormonde Deeds

1830

[back of Grace’s Castle let to Richard Connell]

 

c. 1708

Pratt

1708

‘Grace’s Castle and county Gaol”

 

1786

Finn’s Leinster Journal

9/9/1798

‘Grace’s old castle’

 

April 1798

Neely + Finn’s Leinster Journal

1989

1798

[A meeting of the magistrates held at Grace’s Old Castle]

 

15th January 1828

The presentments of Grand Jury of the county of Kilkenny

1833

‘A meeting if the magistrates held at Grace’s Old Castle.’

 

1831

Kilkenny Journal

26/10/1831

 
 

1837

Lewis

1837

‘The courthouse, called Grace’s Old Castle’ [ city and county-at-large courts]

 

1841

Ordnance Survey

1841

‘Grace’s old Castle or County Courthouse. City Gaol’

County Gaol [Parliament Street East]

1691

Rental

1691

Grace’s Castle/county gaol

 

Unknown date pre-1708

Ledwich

1804

William[le Gras] erected a castle in the city; this old building, some years ago, was pulled down and a court house and prison erected on its site at the expense of the county

 

1780-1807

Pratt

1708

‘Grace’s castle and county Gaol’

 

1735

Kilkenny Corporation Minutes

24/9/1735

‘County Gaol’

 

1758

Rocque Map

1758

‘County Gaol’

 

1781

Samuel Byron Map

1781

‘County Gaol’

 

1800

Tighe

1802

‘To be closed’

Court house [Parliament Street East]

1752

Pococke

1891

[County courthouse and gaol being built]

 

1756

Watters

1875

‘county courthouse’

 

1786

Finn’s Leinster Journal

9/9/1786

‘County courthouse’

 

1789

Finn’s Leinster Journal

6/5/1789

'[used as] ‘Theatre’

 

1790

Ni Chinneide and de Montbret

1974

A new prison is being built.

 

1792

Finn’s Leinster Journal

9/10/1792

‘New gaol’ + ‘some plans of material service to the court house’

 

9th October 1794

British Association [2ndary] Carrigan

1878

1884

‘First Assizes and quarter sessions for the city at city courthouse’

 

1795

Inspector- General of Prisons report + Tighe

1796

1802

[possibly at Parliament Street End as Old Tholsel demolished 1795 see note

†] ‘City gaol built’ [on model of county gaol]

 

1807

Tighe Inspector-General’s Report

+ Lewis

1802

1807 +

1837

[old county gaol (+ courthouse) ‘becomes City Gaol’ (+courthouse)] [new county gaol (architect William Robertson) opens in summer 1807 at Stephen Street West Kilkenny Begun 1802]

 

1807

Inspector-Generals reports

1808

[city and (old) county gaol yards in proximity on site at Parliament St.]

 

1807

Accounts of presentments passed by the Grand Juries

1807

‘Improvements done to the city gaol’ [£120]'

 

1822

Brewer + Kilkenny City Presentments

1823 +

1830

‘Recently completed by Mr. Robertson, the architect’

 

1823-1824

Inspector- General’s Report Pigot

1823 + 1824

[court house above city gaol] ‘ground floor of city and county courthouses’

 

1841

Ordnance Survey

1841

‘Grace’s old Castle or County Courthouse. City Gaol’ [1841 OS including debtors airing ground, women’s airing ground.]'

 

1843

Inspector-General Reports

1843

[proposals to amalgamate county and city gaols under consideration] ‘£48 5s for repairs. 1 kitchen lately built. 16 cells; 2 rooms for females; 5 dayrooms; 3 yards; 2 rooms used for an hospital.’

 

1855

The Builder

1855

Burnham designs addition to courthouse

 

1858

Inspector-General’s reports

1859

‘An enlargement of the building attached to the county court house having been lately completed, a considerable portion of it embracing 2 stories’

 

1861, 9th May

Inspector-General’s reports

1862

City and county gaols amalgamated

 

1865

Lyons

1993

Court house sold for £1200 from Hawksworth

 

1871

Ordnance Survey

1871

[Bridewell] [note city and county gaol amalgamated by this time in Stephen Street]

 

1884

Bassett

1884

‘Old Bridewell’

 

1946

Ordnance Survey

1946

‘Bridewell’

Mapping

Location

Dates

Sources

Date of Source

Comment of source

*Note County Gaol [Abbey Street North]

1609-1698?

Neely, + Bradley

1989

2000

‘County gaol’

† City gaol [south end of High Street west side]

1626-1796

Simington, Rocque.

Ainsworth, Hogan, Tighe +

British Association

1656

1758

1978

1795

1800

1878

‘City Gaol’ (also ‘comon gaol’ [under old Tholsel location of city courthouse]

County Gaol [Stephen Street west]

1807 -1948

Inspector-General Report;

Lewis + Ordnance Survey

1808

1837 +

1871

1946

[County gaol later county and city gaol post-1843 but not later than 1871]

 

Appendix D: Detailed Results of Window Samples, Boreholes and Test Pits

Window Samples

WS01 (Inspection Pit)

Pit dimensions:

1.05m x 0.42m x 1.3m

 

Depth

Description

Interpretation

0.0m-0.3m

Re-enforced concrete

Modern surface.

0.3-0.6m

Brown silty clay with c. 80% rounded stones

Modern fill.

0.6-1.3m

Black silty clay with round and angular-shaped stones. Inclusions of mortar, red brick fragments.

Early modern fill material

WS01

(Borehole)

Dimensions: 100mm

 

Depth

Description

Interpretation

1m-2m

Black silty clay with round and angular-shaped stones. Inclusions of mortar, red brick fragments

Early modern fill material

2m-3m

Compact grey clay

Natural

3m-4m

Compact orange clay (upper 0.5m); sand and gravels (lower 0.5m)

Natural

4m-5m

Sand and gravels

Natural

5m-6m

Sand and gravels

Natural

 

WS02 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.94m x 0.48m x 1.m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.45m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.45m-1m Dark brown black coarse sandy clay with occasional red brick fragments and mortar. Early modern made-up ground

WS02

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Grey sandy clay with mortar(1.2- 1.7m); grey brown clay (1.7m-2.2m) Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m Grey brown clay. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Grey brown clay. Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels. Natural

 

WS03 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.93m x 0.42m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.3m-0.6m Loose grey brown clay sand with rounded stones (80%) Modern surface
0.6m-0.8m Concrete Modern fill
0.8m-1.2m Black sandy clay with red brick fragments, mortar. Early modern made-up ground.
WS03 (Bore Hole) Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Grey  sandy  clay  with  mortar(1.2- 1.7m); grey brown clay (1.7m-2.2m) Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m Grey brown clay. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Grey brown clay. Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels. Natural

 

WS04 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions: 0.9

m x 0.48m x 1.2m

n/a  
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.4m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.4m-1.2m Grey brown coarse sandy clay with small round stones. Frequent red brick and mortar, shell Early modern made-up ground Clay pipe stem; animal bone.

WS04

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Light grey clay with red brick fragments and mortar. Early modern made-up ground None.
2.2m-3.2m Grey sandy clay. Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Sand and gravels Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels. Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Sample Fail Natural None

 

 

WS05 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.48m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface

0.30m- 0.55m

Grey clay with mortar, red brick and angular stones Modern made-up ground
0.55m-1.2m Grey brown clay with occasional mortar and red brick fragments. Early modern made-up ground

WS05

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Compact grey brown clay with mortar and occasional red brick Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m Very compact green grey clay. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Grey green sand and gravels. Natural
4.2m-5.2m Grey sand and gravels. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Grey sand and gravels. Natural

 

WS06 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.9m x 0.48m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.3m-0.85m Grey brown coarse sand and rounded stones. Modern made-up
0.85m-1.2m Coarse sand with red brick fragments and mortar. Early modern made-up ground.

WS06

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Coarse sand with red brick and mortar. Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m Light  grey  sandy  clay,  changing  to mid grey at approx. 3m. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Dark grey sand with some organic clay at approx. 4m. Natural
4.2m-5.2m Dark grey-black sandy silt and stone. Natural, possibly river silts
5.2m-6.2m Dark grey-black sandy silt and stone. Natural, possibly river silts

 

WS07 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.95m x 0.40m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.18m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface

0.18m- 0.83m

Grey sand and gravels with pieces of concrete. Occasional red brick fragments Modern made-up ground

0.83m- 0.1.2m

Red brick pieces and fragments and mortar. Early Modern made-up ground

WS07

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Mortar and red brick (upper 0.5m) / compact fine grey green clay (lower 0.5m) Early modern made-up ground/natural
2.2m-3.2m Compact grey green clay. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Compact grey green clay (upper 0.5m) / sand and gravels (lower 0.5m) Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels Natural

 

WS08 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.93m x 0.42m x 1.1m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.3m-0.9m Grey coarse sand with rounded stones. Occasional red brick fragments Early modern made-up ground
0.9m-1.1 Organic black clay with visible plant remains. Natural

WS08

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.1m-2.1m Black clay with occasional red brick, mortar and angular stones. Early modern made-up ground
2.1m-3.1m Yellow clay with stone Natural
3.1m-4.1m Rounded stones and gravels. Natural
4.1m-5.1m Rounded stones and gravels. Natural
5.1m-6.1m Coarse sand and pebbles Natural

 

WS09 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.95m x 0.5m x 1m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore Modern surface N/A
0.3m-1m Brown grey clay with small gravels (80%). Inclusions of red brick fragments and mortar. Early modern made-up ground.

Clay pipe stem (1 No.), ceramic (1 No.)

WS09

(Borehole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Compact dark clay with occasional red brick and mortar fragments. Early modern made-up ground None
2.2m-3.2m Compact dark    brown clay with rounded pebbles Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Grey clay with gravel stones Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Grey clay with gravel stones Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Coarse sand and gravels Natural None

 

WS10 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.8m x 0.5m x 1.2m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.35m Tarmac and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.35m-1.2m Grey clay with red brick fragments, mortar and slate Early modern made-up ground. Glass

WS10

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions:    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Grey clay with occasional red brick fragments and mortar. Early modern made-up ground. None
2.2m-3.2m Compact light grey clay sand. Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Compact light grey clay sand. Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels. Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels. Natural None

 

WS11 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.83m x 0.42m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.3m-0.85m Dark grey brown clay sand with frequent red brick and mortar. Modern made-up ground
0.85m-1.2m Light grey brown clay with rounded stones Natural

WS11

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Compact grey clay. Natural
2.2m-3.2m Grey green sandy clay. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Compact orange brown clay. Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels. Natural

 

WS12 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.5m x 1.2m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.3m-1.2m Modern hardcore material with occasional red brick fragments. Modern made- up ground Ceramics (1 No.)

WS12

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Grey clay, sand and gravels with occasional mortar and red brick fragments Modern made- up ground/ natural interface. None
2.2m-3.2m Grey clay sand and gravels. Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Wet grey clay with rounded stones. Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Grey sand and gravels. Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Fine sand and gravels. Natural None

 

WS13 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.94m x 0.44m x 1.2m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.36m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A

0.36m- 0.76m

Loose grey brown clay with small stones. Inclusions of mortar, red brick. Early modern made-up ground

Glass, clay pipe stem, bone.

0.76m- 0.1.2m

Dark grey clay with occasional red brick fragments Early modern made-up ground None

WS13

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Dark grey clay with stones. Natural None
2.2m-3.2m Grey sandy clay with stones. Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Yellow brown sand and gravels. Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Yellow brown sand and gravels. Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels. Natural None

 

WS14 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.95m x 0.45m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.4m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.4m-1.2m Grey sand and angular stones with occasional large stones. Modern made-up ground

WS14

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Concrete and sand Modern made-up layer
2.2m-3.2m Grey green silty clay Natural
3.2m-4.2m Sand and gravels Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels Natural

 

WS15 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.92m x 0.41m x 1.1m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.15m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A

0.15m- 0.45m

Orange coarse sand with rounded stones (50%) Modern made- up ground None
0.45m-0.9m Grey sand with small rounded and angular stones Modern made- up ground None
0.9m-1.1m Grey sand and gravel with some organic clay. Occasional mortar fragments. Early modern made-up ground. Ceramic (1 No.)

WS15

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Dark grey sand and gravels. Natural None
2.2m-3.2m Light brown sand and gravels. Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Brownish yellow sand    and gravels. Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Brownish yellow sand    and gravels. Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Coarse grey sand with large rounded stones. Natural None

 

WS16 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.84m x 0.52m x 1.2m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.45m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A

0.45m- 0.65m

Dark grey clay with red brick fragments, mortar and some charcoal. Early modern made-up ground

Ceramics     (1 No.);

Animal bone.

0.65m- 0.1.2m

Sand and gravel, occasional red brick fragments. Early modern made-up ground None

WS16

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Grey black sand and gravels. Natural None
2.2m-3.2m Grey clay with medium-sized stones. Natural None
3.2m-4.2m Rounded stones, sand and gravels Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Gravels and coarse sand. Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Fine and coarse sand. Natural None

 

WS17 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.52m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.35m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.5m-0.75m Coarse grey clay sand with rounded stones and occasional red brick fragments Early modern         made-up ground
0.75m-0.9m Mortar, red brick fragments and occasional coal pieces Early    modern         made-up ground
0.9m-1.2m Grey/green clay coarse sand with rounded stones. Occasional slate. Early    modern         made-up ground

WS17

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Compact grey clay with angular stones. Natural
2.2m-3.2m Grey brown clay with small stones Natural
3.2m-4.2m Grey blue clay with stone (90%) Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels Natural

 

WS18 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

1.08m x 0.42m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.32m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface

0.32m- 0.77m

Purple clay sand with angular stones (90%) Modern made-up ground.
0.77m-1.2m Grey clay sand with rounded stones (80%). Moderate red brick fragments Modern made-up ground.

WS18

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Compact grey clay with occasional red brick fragments. Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m Grey green sandy clay with small angular stones. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Sand and gravels Natural
4.2m-5.2m Sand and gravels Natural
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels

Natural

 

Bore Holes

 

BH01 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.94m x 0.47m x 1m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.32m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.32m-1.0m Grey clay with rounded stone and gravels. Modern made-up ground

BH01

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Compact grey clay with small rounded stones. Some red brick fragments and mortar. Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m Grey green sandy clay. Natural
3.2m-4.2m Yellow grey clay sand and stone. Natural
4.2m-5.2m Coarse sand and gravel. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Coarse sand and gravel.

Natural

 

BH02 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.96m x 0.5m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.45m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface

0.45m- 1.05m

Grey brown sandy clay with mortar and rounded stones Modern made-up ground
1.05m-1.2m Coarse sand with rounded stones. Early modern made-up ground

BH02

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
  Abandoned due to difficult ground (deep concrete)  

 

BH02(b) (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.9m x 0.43m x 1.2m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.3m-0.6m Coarse sand, rounded stones Modern made-up ground.
0.6m-0.75m Concrete Modern made-up ground.
0.75m-1.2m Grey brown coarse sand with rounded stones. Modern made-up ground.

BH02 (b)

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm  
Depth Description Interpretation
1.2m-2.2m Grey gravelly sand (to 1.5m); dark brown silty clay with inclusions of small stones and patches of mortar (to 1.6m);grey gravelly sand. Early modern made-up ground.
2.2m-3.2m No sample Natural
3.2m-4.2m Gravels with frequent stones and dark grey silty clay Natural (riverine silts)
4.2m-5.2m Dark grey silty clay. Natural
5.2m-6.2m Very wet coarse sand gravels. Natural
6.2m-7.2m Coarse grey sandy gravels Natural
7.2m-8.2m Coarse grey sandy gravels Natural
8.2m-9.2m Coarse grey sand. Natural
8.2m-9.2m Coarse grey sand. Natural

 

BH03 (Inspection Pit)

Dimensions:

0.91m x 0.42m x 1.2m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.5m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.5m-0.70m Concrete Modern made- up ground None
0.70m-1.2m Grey clay sand with large rounded stones (80%). Red brick fragments. Modern          made- up ground Glass, pottery.

BH03

(Bore Hole)

Dimensions: 100mm    
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
1.2m-2.2m Hardcore Modern          made- up ground None
2.2m-3.2m No sample N/A N/A
3.2m-4.2m Sand and gravels. Natural None
4.2m-5.2m Clay sand and pebbles Natural None
5.2m-6.2m Sand and gravels Natural None
6.2m-7.2m Silty sand Natural None
7.2m-8.2m Silty sand Natural None
8.2m-9.2m Silty sand and gravels. Natural None

 

Summary of Groundwater monitoring boreholes (BH A-E):

Five boreholes were dug for the purposed of installing groundwater monitoring wells as requested by the EPA, three to the south of the River Breagagh, and two to the north (Appendix 1). The boreholes involved hand-digging an inspection pit of 0.5m x 0.5m to a depth of 1m and then drilling a 100mm casing containing a plastic sleeve to depths of 6-8m. In four of the five boreholes, natural was reached between 1.8-2m below bgl. In borehole A (BHA) to the north of the river, natural was reached at 3.4m below bgl. In all of the boreholes the upper deposits were made up of modern fill including red brick, slate and mortar and nothing of archaeological interest was noted.

Detailed Results of Groundwater Monitoring Boreholes

BHA Dimensions: 100mm diameter  
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.2m Re-enforced concrete. Modern surface.
0.2-0.6m Cobbles and sandy gravel with inclusions of red brick and occasional slate. Modern fill.
0.6-1.25m Brown grey gravelly sand with inclusions of slate, red brick, mortar, glass, plastic and charcoal. Modern fill.
1.25-1.4m Dark brown grey silty clay with inclusions of mortar and wood fragments. Modern fill.
1.4-1.65m Mid-dark brown grey silty clay with inclusions of mortar and wood fragments. Modern fill.
1.65-2.4m Brown-grey loose silty sandy coarse gravel with frequent stones, red brick fragments and mortar. Modern fill.
2.4-2.6m Dark brown black organic clayey silt with bits of wood and red brick, within coarse gravel. Modern fill.
2.6-3.4m Brown grey coarse gravelly sand with some stones, mortar and burnt bone. Modern fill.
3.4-4.0m Yellow grey coarse gravel. Natural
4.0-4.25m Yellow grey fine gravel and sand. Natural
4.25-4.4m Fine grey sand. Natural
4.4-4.9m Medium coarse grey sand. Natural
4.9-6.0m Brown-grey medium sand. Natural

 

BHB Dimensions: 100mm diameter  
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete. Modern surface.
0.3-0.9m Brown medium sand and cobbles. Modern fill.
0.9-1.0m Dark grey coarse sand with inclusions of red brick fragments and a mix of rounded cobbles and angular stones, average diameter 6-7cms. Modern fill.
1.0-1.4m Mixed stony material with inclusions of mortar, red brick and gravel. Modern fill.
1.4-1.8m Fine grey sandy clay, with inclusions of mortar & occasional charcoal. Modern fill.
1.8-2.0m Fine yellow silty sand. Natural.
2-3m Brown silty clay with stones, changes to light grey  sandy gravel and then to medium grey sand with decomposed organic matter and snail shells and finally to mid grey stones and fine sand close to 3m. Natural.
3-4m Yellow grey gravel, sandier in the last 20cms. Natural.
4-5m Fine grey gravel, sandier towards 5m. Natural.
5-6m Coarse grey sand to around 5.2m and then stony gravel to 6m. Natural.
6-7m Light brown sandy gravel, changing to fine light brown sand from 6.35m. Natural.
7-8m Fine light brown sand. Natural.

 

BHC Dimensions: 100mm diameter  
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.2m Re-enforced concrete. Modern surface.
0.2-0.45m Brown medium sand and cobbles. Modern fill.
0.45-1.0m Mix of mid grey coarse sandy gravel with stones, red brick fragments and bits of mortar, slate and cinder. Modern fill.
1.0-1.4m Mix of mortar, red brick, slate and gravel. Modern fill.
1.4-1.6m Dark brown silty sandy clay with red brick, mortar and charcoal. Modern fill.
1.6-1.85m Light grey brown silty sandy clay with some stones and flecks of mortar. Modern fill.
1.85-1.95m Mid-grey silty sandy clay with inclusions of mortar and red brick. Modern fill.
1.95-2.9m Light grey fine silty clay. Natural.
2.9-3.4m Coarse stony gravel. Natural.
3.4-6.9m Coarse gravelly sand with some fine gravel. Includes bands of grey and brown-yellow sandy gravel. Natural.
6.9-7m Coarse mid-brown sand. Natural.

 

BHD Dimensions: 100mm diameter   Figure: Appendix 1
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.2m Re-enforced concrete. Modern surface. N/A
0.2-0.55m Grey brown, mix of mortar, stones and brown silty sand with flecks of red brick. Modern fill. None
0.55-0.9m Light grey sandy gravel with stones and occasional bits of red brick. Modern fill. None
0.9-1.0m Black silty clay with mortar & red brick inclusions. Modern fill. None
1.0-1.5m Black silty sand with frequent mortar & cinders. Modern fill. Modern pottery
1.5-2.0m Mid grey silty sand with frequent bits of mortar and red brick, roots and wood fragments, charcoal. Modern fill. Modern pottery
2.0-2.1m Light grey medium sand. Natural N/A
2.1-2.9m Mid grey silty clay, becoming yellow towards 2.9m. Natural N/A
2.9-3.8m Light grey sandy gravel. Natural N/A
3.8-4.1m Grey medium sand. Natural N/A
4.1-5.0m Mid grey coarse sand and gravel. Natural N/A
5.0-5.2m Yellow-grey gravel and sand with stones. Natural N/A
5.2-6.0m Brown medium sand. Natural N/A

 

BHE Dimensions: 100mm diameter  
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.25m Re-enforced concrete. Modern surface.
0.25-0.7m Coarse sand and gravel with rounded cobbles, inclusions of mortar & redbrick fragments. Modern fill.
0.7-0.9m Concrete. Modern fill.
0.9-1.6m Mixed grey brown coarse silty sand containing mortar, red brick and some stones. Layer of mortar within, at 1.3- 1.4m. Modern fill.
1.6-2.0m Dark grey brown sandy silty clay with inclusions of cinder, mortar and decaying organics (twigs). Modern fill.
2.0-2.6m Lighter grey sandy silty clay with some coarse gravel. Natural.
2.6-2.9m Light yellow grey silty clay, occasional dark brown patches of decayed organics. Natural.
2.9-3.0m Grey sandy silty gravel. Natural.
3.0-4.65m Medium yellow-grey silty sandy finely coarse gravel with occasional cobbles. Natural.
4.65-5.6m Fine medium grey sand. Natural.
5.6-6.0m Brown grey silty sandy gravel. Natural.
6.0-7.0m Grey brown medium sandy gravel with some cobbles. Natural.
7.0-7.6m Mid brown grey slightly silty coarse gravelly sand. Natural.
7.6-8.0m Fine brown grey silty sand. Natural.

 

Test Pits

TP01 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.7m x 2.6m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.2m Tarmac and hardcore Modern surface N/A
0.2m-0.45m Grey black gravel and sand Modern made- up ground None

0.45m- 0.55m

Deposit of dumped red brick fragments and mortar Modern made- up ground None
0.55m-0.9m Mid grey brown sandy clay Modern made- up ground None
0.9m-1.35m Grey silty clay with some inclusions of mortar and slate fragments Modern made- up ground None
1.35m-2.5m Very fine dark black-brown silty clay, inclusions of slate, red brick, animal bone

Organic deposit, post medieval or later, possibly related to a flood event

Pottery (Brownware)
2.5m-2.6m Fine brown silt River deposit, possibly related to a flood event None
2.6m Mid grey sandy gravel Natural None

 

TP02 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1.5m x 0.7m x 1.5m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0-0.2m  Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.2m-0.7m Loose light brown sand and gravel, occasional red brick fragments and flecks of mortar throughout. Modern made- up ground None
0.7m-0.95m Loose dark grey black sandy clay mixed with red brick and mortar. Early modern made-up ground None
0.95m-1.5m Dark brown mottled silty clay with flecks of mortar and red brick. At c.1m some large stones at the north end of the test pit may represent the face of a wall oriented roughly SW-NE. Early modern made-up ground, possible       stone wall Modern pottery, glass

 

TP03 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1.5m x 0.65m x 2.35m

   
0.0m-0.2m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.2m-1m Loose light brown sand and gravel, occasional red brick fragments. Modern made- up ground, possibly river gravels None
1m-1.9m Dark grey black silty clay, inclusions of red brick, slate and wood fragments. Early modern made-up ground Modern pottery, glass, oyster shell
1.9m-2.35 Fine grey silty clay River silts None

 

TP04 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.7m x 0.6m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.2m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface
0.2m-0.4m Loose light brown gravel and sand Modern made-up ground
0.4m-0.6m Loose grey gravel and sand Modern made-up ground
0.6m Concrete slab Modern surface

 

TP05 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.7m x 2.25m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.5m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.5m-1.35m Loose light brown gravel and sand. Modern made- up ground Modern pottery
1.35m-1.8m Loose dark brown silty clay with frequent inclusions of mortar and red brick. Modern made- up ground Modern pottery, animal bone
1.8m-2.3m Mid-dark grey silty gritty clay with frequent inclusions of red brick fragments and mortar. Modern made- up ground Modern pottery
2.3m-2.55m Grey gravel Natural None

 

TP06 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1.5m x 0.7m x 2.25m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.2m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.2m-1.35m Loose light brown gravel and sand, inclusions of mortar, red and yellow brick, slate and plastic. Modern made- up ground Modern pottery

1.35m-

1.95m

Mid-dark brown silty clay with flecks of mortar and red brick. Modern made- up ground None

1.95m-

2.25m

Fine dark grey silty clay

Post  medieval or later, possibly related to a flood event

Pottery (Brownware) and clay pipe stem fragments (x2)

 

TP07 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1.5m x 0.7m x 0.65m

 
Depth Description Interpretation
0.0m-0.25m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface

0.25m- 0.65m

Loose mid brown gravel and sand Modern made-up ground
0.65m Concrete slab Modern surface

 

TP08 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1m x 0.7m x 2.4m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.25m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.25m-1.1m

Mid brown rubble material with lots of mortar, yellow and red brick,  slate fragments Loose light brown gravel and sand, inclusions of mortar, red and yellow brick, slate and plastic.

Modern          made- up ground

Early modern white glazed yellow brick (stamped “J & M Craig Kilmarnock Scotland) dates to early 19th-early 20th Century.

1.1m-2.2m Dark brown silty clay with lumps and flecks of mortar and animal bone. Modern          made- up ground Modern glass bottle
2.2m-2.4m Grey brown sandy clay. Natural None

 

TP09 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1.5m x 0.7m x 2.4m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.25m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.25m-0.4m Black loose gravel. Modern made- up ground None
0.4m-1.2m Loose mid brown gravel and sand, inclusions of mortar, red brick, slate and plastic. Modern made- up ground Modern pottery
1.2m-2.4m Dark brown sandy clay with bits of mortar and red brick, slate, plastic, re-bar, wire, animal bone. Modern made- up ground, dumped rubbish Bead (probably modern), modern glass

 

TP10 (Test pit)

Dimensions:

1.9m x 0.6m x 2.2m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.3m Re-enforced concrete and hardcore. Modern surface N/A
0.3m-0.8m Loose mid brown sand and gravel, inclusions of mortar flecks. Modern made- up ground Modern pottery
0.8m-1.8m Loose dark brown sandy silt, flecks and lumps of mortar. Modern made- up ground None
1.8m-2.2m Mid grey silty clay, inclusions of animal bone, burnt bone and flecks of charcoal. Mid grey silty clay, inclusions of animal bone, burnt bone and flecks of charcoal. None

 

TP CB (Test pit)

Dimensions:

2m x 4m x 3.1m

   
Depth Description Interpretation Finds
0.0m-0.5m Re-enforced concrete and gravel. Modern surface N/A
0.5m-1.1m Loose mid brown sand, gravel and water rolled stones. Modern made- up ground None
1.1m-1.8m Grey gravelly sandy silt, red brick and mortar fragments. Modern made- up ground None
1.8m-2m Dark brown organic peaty material with inclusions of oyster shell, animal bone, glass and red brick fragments. Early modern occupation layer Glass, red brick fragments
2m-2.8m Stony grey black silty grey clay with mussel shell inclusions. River silts related to a flood event, possible archaeological layer. None
2.8m-3.1m Dark brown-black soft clayey silt with inclusions of seashell, animal bone and charcoal. Possibly an archaeological layer / river silts  related  to a flood event. None
3.1m Grey sandy gravel Natural N/A

 

Appendix C Archaeological Investigations within and adjacent to the Masterplan area - Adjacent to the Masterplan

Licence No KKAP Ref Description Archaeologist Location Date
03E1901 KKAP-022 Excavation of Vicar's Choral building of St. Canice's cathedral. Post-medieval wall. Emmet Stafford, Catherine McLoughlin 15-16 Vicar Street 2004
  KKAP-023 Testing of Vicar's choral building John Tierney 15-16 Vicar's street 2003
97E0481 KKAP-154 Kilkenny Main Drainage Battered medieval wall at Mill Lane, organic possible Early Medieval deposits at St. Canice's place and culverted mill-race at Parliament Street Patrick J. H Neary Mill Lane, St Canice’s Place 1997-1999
  KKAP-175 Industrial mill and weir complex including 17th century rectangular mill-building, mill-race and waterwheel pit. Late 17th century 'deflection dam' and wattle panelling. Extensive remodeling occurred after the 1763 flood Paul Stevens and Brenda O’Meara

NOR-2, NOR-4 The Mill Island and Green's Bridge Weir (Part of Green's Bridge Mills)

2001-2002
00E0170 KKAP-026 Four walls and remains of cobbled surface of post- medieval date. Medieval deposits beneath stone building and cobbles. Mary Henry 19 Vicar Street 2000
04E0615 KKAP-131 Architectural recording of a 'free-standing arch' for Watergate bridge Kevin Lohan Irishtown Bridge 2004
95E0062 KKAP-155 Reclamation deposits overlying medieval organic material Margaret Gowen Kytler's Inn, 25-26 St Kieran’s Street 1995
00E0027 KKAP-041 Archaeological excavation was undertaken to facilitate the construction of manholes for the Kilkenny Main Drainage scheme. Seven stratigraphic layers were identified, all of which were archaeologically sterile. A stone flag floor, associated with a Georgian house, was identified at a depth of 2m below the current ground surface. Emer Dennehy 33 Parliament Street 2000
06E1190 KKAP-045 Interior of Tudor house, mortar and brick layers Sheila Lane 38 Parliament Street 2006
00E0128 KKAP-046 Build level of Tudor house and medieval deposits Paul Stevens 39 Parliament Street 2000
99E0713 KKAP-124 Organic reclamation deposits of possible medieval date. Post-medieval deposits Mary Henry Green Street 1999
04E1618 KKAP-223 No finds or features of an archaeological nature were noted in testing Sheila Lane Winston‘s Department Store 2004
00E0406 KKAP-076 Late Medieval timber structure, timber bridge foundations, medieval wall Paul Stevens BRE-6 Banks of the river Breagagh Gardens Townland 2000
98E0167 KKAP-009 Medieval Housing and Reclamation Hilary Opie 1-13 Kieran Street 1998
97E0334 KKAP-010 Medieval Housing and Reclamation Ruairi O’Baoill 10-13 Kieran Street 1997
07E0549 - Five test trenches revealed a burial, a number of medieval deposits, a well and post medieval wall Maedbh Saunderson Courthouse test excavation 2007
08E0462 - Excavation revealed over 1000 contexts, 200 excavated features, 4000 sherds of medieval pottery, 2000 sherds of post-medieval pottery. Almost 500 pieces of well- preserved wood consisting of stakes, timbers, artefacts. Medieval domestic activity included wood lined cesspits and burgage plots. 23 burial (probable felons)were revealed from the prison context of the site Maedbh Saunderson Courthouse excavation 2007

 

Investigation within the Masterplan Area
Licence No KKAP Ref Description Archaeologist Location Year
99E0385 KKAP-190 Archaeological test-excavations and monitoring was undertaken on the Breagagh river where it passes through St. Francis' friary. The works formed part of an assessment that was undertaken in advance of the removal of the river bed due to PCB contamination. Test pit No 4 yielded 2 sherds of medieval pottery Margaret Gowen, Paul Stevens River Breagagh at St. Francis' Abbey Brewery 1999
95E0242 KKAP-198 Reclamation with decayed timbers Margaret Gowen St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 1995
98E0069 KKAP-204 Test-excavations were undertaken in advance of the construction of a small extension to the fermentor block of the brewery in St. Francis' Abbey. Nothing of archaeological interest was noted Margaret Gowen St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 1998
04E0694 KKAP-203 Reclamation and the possible residual remains, in the form of limestone building rubble, of the 18th-century horse barracks. Kevin Lohan St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 2004
04E0694 KKAP-205 19th and 20th reclamation Brenda O‘Meara St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 2004
97E0099 KKAP-206 A single test-pit was excavated prior to the redevelopment of a fermentor block. A hard, compact, yellow boulder clay was identified 2.57m below existing ground level. This was sealed by a black organic silty clay, 1.32m deep. The uppermost 1.25m of fill consisted of demolition rubble, hard-core and thick concrete slab. Edmond O'Donovan St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 1997
99E0148 KKAP-207 An organic silt, possibly a medieval reclamation layer, was discovered at the base of the excavated cutting, 2.50m. Two layers of post-medieval build-up were also recorded. Edmond O'Donovan St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 1999
- KKAP-184 Part of cloister and north transept of St. Francis' friary Marcus O'hEochaidhe St Francis’ Abbey Brewery 1963
  KKAP-130 Monitoring of river-gravel extraction revealed a sword fragment. A survey of the Town Wall and Evan's tower was also undertaken Ian W. Doyle Diageo Complex, River Breagagh

2001

01E0632

07E1061 - Six test trenches were excavated and two walls were revealed in Trench 1, wall revealed at 43.1m OD (0.6mbgl) and Trench 4, wall revealed 42.55m OD (1.7m bgl) Niklagh Gilligan Diageo Complex 2008
01E0303 KKAP-209 Stone jetty and timber platform Niall Brady NOR-10 Bateman Quay 2001
01E0554 KKAP-177 18th century stone jetty, private mooring, river wall Paul Stevens NOR-9 Bateman Quay 2001
01E0555 KKAP-080 Excavation and full building survey of a semi-circular riverside revetment wall and associated early modern Pleasure House Paul Stevens NOR-6 Bateman Quay 2001-2002
01E1166 KKAP-079 Series of post-medieval, parallel riverside walls and the truncated remains of a 'pleasure house' Paul Stevens Bateman Quay 2002
10E323 - Underwater investigation did not reveal any archaeological features ADCO KCAS 2010
unknown - Six test trenches were excavated and four revealed archaeology relating to 18th-19th century building material/ structures Colm Flynn KCAS 2012
unknown - Identification of 2 stone walls thought to be 18th-19th in date and part of a structure. Colm Flynn Diageo complex – Visitor Attraction Project 2014
14E0250 - A series of 19th and 20th century walls, box drains and culverts were uncovered, which tie into Rocque’s map of 1758. The outfall area was previously disturbed, a possible riverine deposit (a dark grey brow silt) was detected below c.1.5m Gill McLoughlin Diageo complex - monitoring an underground ESB cable and outfall upgrade 2014
13E0270 - 18 window samples, 8 boreholes, 11 test pits and a programme of river bank sampling Gill McLoughlin and Mark Moraghan Monitoring of geotechnical test pits and boreholes 2013-2014
Ministerial Consent (C607) - Stone revetment wall to the east of Evan’s Tower was revealed for a length of 1.6m, depth of 1.1m and was oriented northwest-southeast (5 courses were uncovered). Gill McLoughlin Monitoring on the banks of the river Nore 2014

 

NIAH Reg No.

Address Date Categories of special Interest Rating Original Use Description Coordinates Photo

12004007

Green's Bridge

1765 -

1770

Architectural Technical National Bridge Five-arch rubble limestone Classical-style road bridge over river. Built 1766 by William Colles (c.1710-70) to designs prepared by George Smith (fl. 1763-7) after the Roman Bridge at Rimin. Finely-carved limestone dressings exhibiting high quality stone masonry. The graceful profile of the arches identifies the civil engineering heritage significance of the site.

250558,

156536

12003050

Hillman Humber and Commer, Green Street

1940 -

1960

Architectural Regional Garage Detached four-bay two-storey gable-fronted garage, c.1950. Pitched (gable-fronted) roof behind parapet with cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with channelling to ground floor. Square-headed openings with fixed-pane windows.

250399,

156511

12003025

Vicar Street

1890 -

1910

Artistic Technical Regional Vent Pipe A vent pipe of significance for the associations with a sewage system developed in Kilkennyc.1900. Raised elements together with a profiled parapet indicate the equal importance placed on aesthetic effects as well as functionality.

250375,

156460

 

12000002

19 Vicar Street

1840 -

1860

Architectural Regional House End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1850. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Square- headed window openings with cut-stone sills and moulded rendered surrounds. Renovated, c.1950, however retaining the original composition attributes elsewhere together with substantial quantities of the historic fabric the house continues to make a pleasing impression in an historic streetscape.

250420,

156386

 

12000001

24 Vicar Street

1900 -

1910

Architectural Regional House

Attached two-bay two-storey house, built 1905, with two-bay two-storey return to east. Hipped slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered vermiculated quoins to ends. A pleasant small-scale house distinguished in the streetscape on account of attributes including camber-headed openings with one incorporating an elegant bipartite arrangement, subtle decorative render detailing, and so on, all of which enhance the architectural design value of the composition.

250402,

156379

12000258

20 Vicar Street

1890 -

1910

Architectural Local House End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1900, possibly originally two separate single- bay two-storey houses incorporating fabric of earlier house, pre-1840, on site. Hipped and pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Square- headed window openings and door opening with moulded rendered surround. Interior with remains of timber panelled reveals/shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

250427,

156371

12000003

D. Walsh, Saint Canice's Place

1790 -

1810

Architectural Regional House

Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1800. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Square- headed window openings with cut-stone sills. Ground floor remodelled, c.1975. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front. A well- appointed substantial house incorporating Classically-derived proportions with the diminishing in scale of the openings on each level lending an elegant formal quality to the street scene. The survival of the original composition attributes to the upper floors together with most of the early fabric significantly enhances the contribution the site makes to the character of the streetscape.

250410,

156317

12000004

Phil Treacy, 11 Irishtown

1840 -

1860

Architectural Regional House A well-composed Classically-proportioned substantial house lending a formal quality to the streetscape. Terraced three-bay three- storey house, c.1850, possibly originally with shopfront to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Painted rendered. Square-headed window openings and square-headed door opening with timber panelled door having overlight. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front. The original form of the upper floors survives substantially intact together with much of the early fabric both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby significantly enhancing the character of the site.

250413,

156310

12000005

Phil Treacy, 12 Irishtown

1840 -

1860

Architectural Regional House

Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1850, possibly originally with shopfront to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Square- headed window openings with cut-stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, and one-over- one timber sash windows. Square-headed openings to ground floor remodelled, c.1950, with fixed-pane timber window to left ground floor, and glazed timber panelled double doors to right ground floor having fascia over. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

250416,

156301

12000006

Antique Clique (The), 16 Irishtown

1840 -

1860

Architectural Artistic Regional House Terraced three-bay two-storey house, c.1850. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, painted rendered walls and square-headed window openings. Timber shopfront, c.1900, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber windows, timber panelled door, glazed timber panelled door to house, and fascia over having moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front. A modest-scale house retaining most of the historic composition attributes together  with substantial quantities of the early fabric including a fine shopfront of artistic design merit displaying good quality craftsmanship while maximising on the streetscape presence of the site at street level.

250426,

156278

12000007

Irishtown Bridge, Irishtown, Watergate

1565 -

1570

Archaeological Technical National Bridge

Two-arch rubble stone bridge widened in 1759 after reconstructed in 1568. Incorporating fabric of earlier bridge, 1352. A bridge has existed on site since 1207 with the early provenance serving to identify the archaeological significance of the site. Meanwhile the traditional construction in unrefined rubble stone produces an appealing, if subtle textured visual effect in the street scene.

250438,

156254

12000099

James Hughes, 31 Parliament Street

1890 -

1910

Architectural Regional House An appealing modest-scale building possibly originally built as two separate houses successfully navigating an important corner site through the use of a chamfered side elevation. Detached four-bay two-storey house, c.1900, on a corner site probably originally two separate two-bay two-storey houses with two- bay two-storey chamfered side (north-west) elevation. Renovated, c.1925. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, painted rendered walls and square-headed window openings. Square-headed openings to ground floor remodelled, c.1925. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.

250468,

156223

 

12000097

Kilkenny Tourist Hostel, 35 Parliament Street

1815 -

1835

Architectural Regional House An attractive middle-size range built as an extension to the house adjacent to south (12000096) incorporating Classically-derived proportions, thereby contributing to the formal quality of Parliament Street. End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1825, built as extension to house to south. Reroofed c.1925. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, painted rendered walls and square-headed window openings with six-over- six (first floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on unpainted rendered parapet having cut- limestone coping.

250483,

156186

12000096

Kilkenny Tourist Hostel, 35 Parliament Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

1765 -

1785

Architectural Regional House An attractive middle-size house built as one of a pair (with 12000095) incorporating Classically-derived proportions, thereby contributing to the formal quality of Parliament Street. Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1775, originally end-of- terrace. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Painted rendered walls, square-headed window openings with six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows. Round-headed door. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on limestone ashlar parapet having cut- limestone coping.

250490,

156182

12000095

36 Parliament Street

1765 -

1785

Architectural Historical Social Regional House

An attractive middle-size house built as one of a pair (with 12000096) incorporating Classically-derived proportions, thereby contributing to the formal quality of Parliament Street. The retention of much of the early fabric both to the exterior and to the interior further enhances the contribution the house makes to the historic quality of the streetscape. The house remains of additional importance for the historic use as a Royal Irish Constabulary Barracks during the War of Independence (1919-21). Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1775. Renovated, c.1825. Pitched roof with replacement slate. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins. Square-headed windows with six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on limestone ashlar parapet having cut-limestone coping.

250494,

156174

12000094

McGrath, 37 Parliament Street

1765 -

1785

Architectural Artistic Regional House A pleasant house of modest character possibly originally built as a smaller composition as suggested by the variance in the proportions of the openings in the upper floors together with some discrepancies in the treatment of the wall surface: the resulting tiered effect produced by the stepping-in of the openings presents a distinctive quality in the street scene. Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1775, possibly originally three-bay two-storey. Reroofed, c.1925, possibly with top floor added. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with six-over-six (first floor) and two- over-two (top floor) timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, c.1900. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

250492,

156166

12000093

Ristorante Da Pino/James Harte and Son, 38 Parliament Street

1715 -

1735

Architectural Archaeological Regional House

A well-appointed middle-size house originally forming part of a larger composition with the range adjacent to south (12000092) representing the continuation of a long- standing presence on site: incorporating substantial portions of the late sixteenth- century Red Lion Inn the house forms an important element of the archaeological heritage of Kilkenny. Terraced two-bay three- storey over basement house, c.1725, originally forming part of larger five-bay three-storey house with building to south with single-bay three-storey return to east incorporating fabric of medieval inn, c.1575, having two-bay single- storey range to east. Renovated, c.1850. Reroofed, c.1950. Painted rendered walls to front (west) elevation with exposed random rubble stone walls to remainder. Square- headed window openings to front (west) elevation with cut-stone sills with chamfered reveals, chamfered mullions, and hood mouldings. Timber shopfront to ground floor. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

250501,

156162

12000092

James Harte and Son, 39 Parliament Street

1715 -

1735

Architectural Archaeological Regional House

A well-appointed middle-size house originally forming part of a larger composition with the range adjacent to north (12000093) representing the continuation of a long- standing presence on site: incorporating substantial portions of the late sixteenth- century Red Lion Inn the house forms an important element of the archaeological heritage of Kilkenny. Terraced three-bay three- storey over basement house, c.1725, originally forming part of larger five-bay three-storey house c.1575, Renovated, c.1850. Reroofed, c.1950. Pitched (shared) roofs with replacement artificial slate, c.1950. Painted rendered wall to front (west) elevation with exposed random rubble stone walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings to return and to range to east with cut-stone surrounds having chamfered reveals, chamfered mullions, hood mouldings over, and replacement timber casement windows. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door having overlight. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

250499,

156155

12000091

Sherry Fitzgerald McCreery, 40 Parliament Street,

1790 -

1810

Architectural Artistic Regional House

An elegantly-composed substantial house built as one of a pair (with 12000090) incorporating Classically-derived proportions enhancing the formal quality of the streetscape of Parliament Street. Exhibiting high quality stone masonry a finely-carved doorcase accommodating two door openings (a characteristic of Kilkenny)  and further enlivens the external expression of the composition. The house potentially represents an important element of the archaeological legacy of Kilkenny City. Terraced  two-bay four-storey over basement red brick house. Pitched (shared) slate roof behind parapet. Red brick Flemish bond walls with square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, red brick voussoirs, six-over-one (first floor), three-over-six (second floor) and three- over-three (top floor) timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening in shared elliptical-headed doorcase with three cut- limestone steps, cut-limestone engaged Tuscan columns supporting frieze, timber panelled door, and shared fanlight having cut-limestone archivolt. Interior with entrance hall having carved timber architraves to door openings  with timber panelled doors, plasterwork cornice to ceiling having decorative plasterwork rosette, and timber panelled shutters to  window openings. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on rendered plinth having cut-limestone coping.

250507,

156152

12000090

Michael Buggy, 41 Parliament Street,

1790 -

1810

Architectural Artistic Regional House

An elegantly-composed substantial house built as one of a pair (with 12000091). Terraced two-bay four-storey over basement red brick house, c.1800, with single-bay four-storey return to east. Pitched (shared) slate roof behind parapet. Red brick Flemish bond walls. Square-headed window openings with six-over- one (first floor), three-over-six (second floor) and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening (shared with 12000091). Interior with entrance hall having carved timber architraves to door openings with timber panelled doors, plasterwork cornice to ceiling having decorative plasterwork rosette, round-headed door opening to stair hall having fanlight, carved timber staircase, and timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on rendered plinth having cut-limestone coping.

250506,

156145

12000089

Kilkenny County Enterprise Board, 42 Parliament Street,

1765 -

1785

Architectural Regional House

A well-composed substantial house built as one of a pair (with 12000088) incorporating Classically-derived proportions with the resulting diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor enhancing the elegant formal quality of the streetscape. Terraced three-bay three-storey over basement red brick house, c.1775. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Red brick Flemish bond walls with cut-limestone chamfered, quoins to ends. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, six-over-six and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening with Gibbsian surround. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on cut- limestone plinth.

250511,

156140

12000088

Smithwick, 43 Parliament Street

1765 -

1785

Architectural Regional House A well-composed substantial house built as one of a pair (with 12000089) incorporating Classically-derived proportions with the resulting diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor enhancing the elegant formal   quality of the streetscape of Parliament Street. Terraced three-bay three-storey over basement red brick house, c.1775, with single-bay three- storey recessed end bay to right having round- headed carriageway to ground floor. Pitched slate roofs (shared to main block) with clay ridge tiles. Red brick Flemish bond walls with cut-limestone dressings. Square-headed window openings with replacement one-over- one timber sash windows, c.1900, on ground floor. Round-headed door opening with Gibbsian surround. Road fronted with sections of wrought iron railings to front on cut- limestone plinth.

250514,

156133

12000086

Jenkin's Lane

1865 -

1885

Architectural Regional Cobbles/ Flags/Pa ving/Kerbing Section of limestone cobbling, c.1875, with cut- limestone flagged wheel tracks. An appealing,  if subtle feature in the street scene representing a traditional method of paving using locally-sourced materials: the resulting pattern displays a pleasant character lacking in the modern coverings applied to roads and streets.

250532,

156145

 

12000087

E. Smithwick and Sons Limited, Jenkin's Lane

1865 -

1885

Architectural Artistic Regional Gates/Ra ilings/Walls

A robustly-detailed gateway c.1875, forming a picturesque feature in the streetscape of Jenkin's Lane: decorative accents with particular emphasis on the Classically-derived rendered dressings contribute significantly to the artistic design value of the composition while exhibiting high quality craftsmanship. Comprising segmental-headed carriageway with pair of painted rusticated rendered piers and timber double doors. Lane fronted

250542,

156146

 

12000085

Saint Francis's Abbey Brewery, 44 Parliament Street

1880 -

1885

Architectural Regional Office Attached four-bay three-storey office building, built 1882. A well-composed middle-size building making a distinctive impression in the streetscape of Parliament Street on account of the variety of materials employed in the construction representing a characteristic of the late nineteenth-century High Victorian period: the resulting combination of limestone with red, yellow and vitrified blue brick produces an appealing polychromatic visual effect enhancing the architectural design importance of the composition. Finely-carved details displaying high quality stone masonry in locally-sourced County Kilkenny limestone further enliven the external expression of the building while the retention of substantial quantities of the early fabric ensures that the site contributes positively to the historic character of the street scene.

250532,

156129

12000084

Kilkenny City Courthouse, Parliament Street

1790 -

1795

Architectural Artistic Archaeological Historical Social National Court House

An edifice of national significance in the architectural heritage of Kilkenny occupying a site having origins in the thirteenth-century Grace's Castle reputedly surviving to the present day in fragments in the basement level. Subsequently yielded by James Grace (n. d.) for adaptation to use as a bridewell or gaol the building represents one of the earliest- surviving civic institutions in the locality. Converted to use as a courthouse possibly to designs prepared by Sir Jerome Fitzpatrick (n. d.) with an internal configuration highlighting the prevailing influence of James Gandon's (1743-1823) contemporary (1784) Waterford City Courthouse (demolished pre-1849) the composition as it appears today is primarily the product of a comprehensive redevelopment in the early nineteenth century to designs prepared by William Robertson (1770-1850): the resulting Classical scheme surmounting a somewhat haphazard base forms an elegantly distinctive focal point in the centre of Parliament Street.

250547,

156112

12000236

Parliament Street

1881 -

1901

Artistic Historical Social Regional Post Box Freestanding cast-iron pillar post box, between 1881-1901, with raised "VR" royal cipher, moulded necking, and shallow domed capping. Road fronted on concrete brick cobbled footpath.

250521,

156098

No Image

12000083

M.J. Crotty and Sons, 45 Parliament Street

1815 -

1835

Architectural Artistic Regional House

A well-appointed substantial house forming an important element of an assemblage of formal Classical quality in the street scene of Parliament Street while serving to frame the adjacent Kilkenny City Courthouse (12000084). Attached two-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1825, on an L-shaped plan with single-bay three-storey return to east. Extensively renovated, c.1875. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tile. Unpainted rendered walls, square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills. Rendered shopfront, c.1875. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.

250539,

156083

12000082

Parliament Street,

1860 -

1865

Architectural Artistic Historical Social Regional Gates/Ra ilings/Walls Remains of gateway, dated 1862-3, comprising pair of engaged rock-faced limestone ashlar outer piers with moulded course to plinth, limestone ashlar quoins to corners, cut-stone date stone/plaques, moulding supporting inscribed friezes, and moulded capping having blocking course. The attendant site remains of additional importance in the locality for the historic associations with the Confederation of Kilkenny (1642) together with the connections with Eamon De Valera (1882-1975).

250535,

156077

12000113

Daniel W. Bollard, 31-32 Saint Kieran's Street

1920 -

1930

Architectural Artistic Regional House A well-appointed substantial building forming an attractive component of the streetscape of Saint Kieran's Street identified by features including bipartite window openings recalling the so-called "Kilkenny Window", elegant decorative rendered accents, and so on all of which enhance the architectural design value of the composition. Terraced three-bay two-storey over basement house with dormer attic, built 1925, with pubfront to ground floor.
Pitched roof, painted rendered walls and s quare-headed window openings. Pubfront to ground floor renovated on a symmetrical plan. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted.

250569,

156032

12000114

29 Saint Kieran's Street

1840 -

1860

Architectural Regional House An appealing house of modest architectural aspirations contributing positively to the visual appeal of the streetscape. Terraced two-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, c.1850, possibly incorporating fabric of earlier range, c.1600, on site. Pitched roof and painted rendered walls with square-headed windows and door. Remodelled, c.1900. Road fronted.

250568,

156020

 

12000115

Lorimat, 28 Saint Kieran's Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

1765 -

1785

Architectural Archaeological Regional House

A pleasant small-scale house incorporating the fabric of a late sixteenth- or early seventeenth- century range on site as manifested by a window reputedly surviving in a gable wall, therefore representing an important element of the archaeological heritage of Kilkenny. End-of- terrace two-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, c.1775, probably originally terraced. Extensively renovated, c.1900. Road fronted.

250570,

156015

 

12000116

Kyteler's Inn, Saint Kieran's Street, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

1250 -

1300

Architectural Archaeological Historical Social National House

A substantial building of national significance having origins in the mid fourteenth century, thereby representing an important element of the archaeological heritage of Kilkenny. Originally known as Kyteler's Hall the building remains of additional importance for the associations with Dame Alice Kyteler (1280- 1324). Attached seven-bay single-storey over part- raised basement rubble stone house with dormer attic, c.1275, probably originally detached with single-bay single-storey return to east. Subsequently in use as inn, post-1449. Extensively reconstructed, c.1625. Renovated, c.1950, with some openings remodelled. Renovated, 1966, with some openings remodelled to accommodate alternative commercial use. Refenestrated, c.2000. Road fronted.

 

250593,

155989

 

12000204

Tea House Designs, Bateman Quay, Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

1790 -

1810

Architectural Regional Garden Structure Misc A pleasant small-scale building making a picturesque impression in a site overlooking the River Nore. A number of features enhancing the architectural design importance of the building include the pointed-arch openings lending a Gothic quality to the composition. Detached two-bay single-storey rubble stone Gothic-style tea house, c.1800, with square-headed cut-away corner porch to left. Restored, 1993, to accommodate commercial use. Now disused. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Random rubble stone walls repointed, 1993. Pointed-arch window openings with cut-limestone sills. Pointed-arch door opening in square-headed cut-away corner porch having limestone ashlar pier, and replacement glazed timber panelled door, 1993, having overlight. Set back from line of road on bank of River Nore with random rubble limestone boundary wall, 1993, to site.

250677,

156167

 12000008

Saint Francis's Abbey Brewery, Horse Barrack Lane (off), Kilkenny, County Kilkenny

1870 -

1880

Architectural Regional

Building Misc

A pleasant modest-scale range also known as "The Sample Rooms" contributing to the group and setting values of the Saint Francis's Abbey complex which has undergone extensive redevelopment over the course of the twentieth century to accommodate an expanding brewery. Detached three-bay single-storey Gothic-style building, c.1875, possibly incorporating fabric of medieval abbey, founded 1231-4, with two-bay single-storey recessed lower entrance bay to left. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random rubble limestone walls with cut-limestone quoins to corners. Paired round-headed window openings with cut-limestone flush sills, cut-limestone block- and-start surrounds having chamfered reveals, and fixed-pane fittings having leaded panels. Pointed-arch door opening with cut-limestone block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals, and timber panelled door. Set back from road in shared grounds.

250561,

156294

 

Appendix G – Conservation Drawings